Cleaning and Prevention
At Toledo Dental Arts, we focus on the improving our patient’s oral health through proactive care. We offer preventive services to ensure the lasting health and beautiful smiles. Through in-depth examinations, professional cleanings, and patient education, we make every check-up valuable and enjoyable.
Have you visited the dentist this year?
Call in to schedule your next visit to see our Toledo dentist for a cleaning and exam.
Request a Specific Dental Examination Limited To Your Concern
Let Us Address Your Immediate Needs
In spite of regular oral care routine, regular dental cleanings, and exams, there are some instances where you may find yourself having to visit your dentist to address a specific dental complaint or problem.
In these instances, your dentist will perform what is known as a limited oral evaluation.
As opposed to a comprehensive oral evaluation, which is recommended when visiting a new practice, or upon major change in your health history, a limited oral assessment is designed to address the immediate concern you are experiencing.
Such issues may include, periodontal gum issues, wisdom tooth eruption, traumatic injury, acute infection or other dental concerns.
During an examination, your dentist will perform a visual search, and possibly a more detailed examination using peri-apicals, bitewings and/or a 360° panoramic X-ray. If your concerns are immediately not identifiable, other tests may be deemed necessary to determine your diagnosis. Depending on the diagnosis, you may undergo treatment immediately following this evaluation, or be scheduled for a follow-up visit with the appropriate amount of time to complete the necessary care.
Bi-Annual Examinations and Patient Education
The best practice to prevent dental issues is to visit the dentist at least twice a year. These examinations provide our dentists and staff the insight needed to determine your oral health. During six-month checkups, we monitor gum health and look for signs of tooth decay.
We conduct dental exams at our Toledo dental office with your comfort and ease in mind. We begin appointments by providing an oral cancer screening and examining the head and neck. Our dentists ask if patients have experienced headaches or pain in the jaw. Finding lesions or signs of oral cancer can significantly improve recovery rates if caught early. We complete exams with a discussion of options and recommend services before beginning treatment.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Toledo Dental Arts understands that patients can be fearful of visiting the dentist. We tailor each experience to our patients comfort level and accommodate as much as possible while they undergo their dental exam and cleaning.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Although proper home care, brushing twice a day and flossing is a sure way to keeping your smile healthy, having your teeth and gums cleaned by a professional ensures the best oral health possible. We move you on to a dental cleaning with our gentle hygienists once your treatment plan and examination is complete.
Professional cleanings remove the main source of tooth decay and periodontal disease. Plaque and tartar made up of infections bacteria attach themselves to tooth roots and can cause major decay. Tartar cannot be removed by brushing alone. Our hygienists gently remove this tough film using advanced dental tools. Afterwards, we apply fluoride to strengthen tooth enamel and protect the smile against decay.
Fluoride is the most effective agent available to help prevent tooth decay. It is a mineral that is naturally present in varying amounts in almost all foods and water supplies. The benefits of fluoride have been well known for over 50 years and are supported by many health and professional organizations.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling
Keep Your Smile Healthy Year Round by Visiting our Toledo Dental Practice
At Toledo Dental Arts, we offer quality preventive care through comprehensive examinations and thorough cleanings.
To schedule your next visit, contact us today!